Mid State Trail, PA

Another beautiful Thanksgiving week along the Mid State Trail, this time it was ushered in with wonderful sunny weather and perfect camping conditions.

As I headed into the woods, I couldn't wait to get lost in the leaves.  The trail, at first, looked like it hadn't been traveled in years.  There was no depression in the earth....only blazes to follow, which I was thankful for!

Not too far into my hike I came upon a beautiful creek, and there I paused to hear what it had to say.  I soaked up the sunshine while I snacked, and let Maple Run tell me the secrets it had been longing to tell since it was last visited by human life.

Maple Run kept tempting me with its tranquil pools and moss-covered banks.

 Maple Run was good to me.

Off in the distance, I could look into the valley and I spotted a small tip of Raystown Lake and its mountain backdrop.

Before the sun began to set that first night, I enjoyed more magnificent views of amber-stained mountaintops.

The next day the trail brought me out of the woods, through farms such as this one, and into downtown Williamsburg, PA.

Williamsburg is home to the Lower (rhymes with 'flower') Trail.  It is an old rails-to-trail bike route, and the MST shares this thoroughfare for nearly 11 miles.

The Lower Trail follows Little Juniata River for most of its length, and crosses side streams that flow into the river, such as the one crossed here on a covered bridge.

The Little Juniata talked to me as well; she had a little more to say than Maple Run. 

I got so tired of these views :) 


I knew it would be damp and cold down along the water, but after 20 miles on the day I didn't have much choice and I camped that night not 10 feet from the river's edge.  I was glad the river didn't rise any through the night. I woke up to frozen fog.

The next morning I had some climbing to do.

 At least the climbing was rewarding.

 As I turned on a trail switchback, I looked back to see where I had come from.

About that time, I gained the ridge and the rocks began.  PA is known for its rocks.  I wouldn't have earth beneath my feet for the rest of my trip.

Ridgetop walking is a lot of fun, but often hard-going and waterless.


The rocks wouldn't give up grabbing hold of my ankles as I walked.

I walked well into dusk, searching for water and camp.

I arrived at camp that night late and beat, but thankful for the blessings of the trail and such a wonderful view right outside my tent door.  

The next morning was equally refreshing, and I enjoyed an early start.

 I looked back to the PA rocks one last moment, and turned to head out of the woods until the next time.

After 4 days in the woods, I made it back to syphilisation just in time for Thanksgiving grub.  I enjoyed a bite from everything.